Many attorneys once they begin practicing law ask themselves, “Where can I earn CLE credits?” Continuing legal education (CLE) credits are mandatory required classes or seminars for attorneys after they are admitted to the bar. Many states require attorneys to obtain a minimum amount of CLE credits to continue practicing law in the state.
There are many websites and resources that attorneys and legal professionals can use to earn their CLE credits. State bar associations often offer courses and seminars, but there are also national organizations that specialize in organizing and hosting CLE presentations. Below are some organizations that attorneys can use to earn credits.
Organizations That Host CLE Classes and Seminars
- National Business Institute (NBI)
- NBI has a large and diverse catalog of legal courses taught by professionals. The classes and seminars include state-specific content and resources.
- They offer on-demand and downloadable courses for those who are unable to be present for live events
- NBI has an “Unlimited CLE” subscription that includes 12 months of unlimited access to their thousands of online seminars, webinars, and OnDemand courses. This membership includes a Fastcase subscription, a personal representative, and access to state-specific legal forms.
- Offers a wide variety of CLE classes, ranging from alcohol law all the way to veteran’s law.
- They have a variety of on-demand and live classes offered on most days
- An “All-Access Pass” can be purchased, which allows the recipient access to all live, on-demand, or replayed CLE programs. It also includes paralegal training courses.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- The ABA is an association of lawyers and law students that covers the whole United States. They set the academic standards for law school and formulate the ethics code for the legal profession.
- As a member of the ABA, legal professionals get unlimited access to more than 600 CLE webinars and on-demand programs available in their library.
- They have plenty of free resources for conducting research on various legal topics.
There are many more resources available for lawyers and law students to earn CLE credits. An internet search yields many results when asking the question “Where can I earn CLE credits?” However, it is important to screen choices to ensure their credibility is high and their courses are accredited.